Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Small Milestones (and Grilled Oysters)

It's been a big couple of days at the Wolford household.  First, on Monday night I got to see and hear Jackson's first confirmed laugh.  Conveniently, he was laughing at me changing his recently soiled diaper!  Second, yesterday Jackson had his first (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) roll.  Here's a video:


Jackson's second roll

I know to a lot of people this is a pretty small thing.  You always hear other people talk about how fast kids grow and change, but until you experience it first hand, it really just sounds cliche.

I was pretty frustrated for the first 4-5 weeks.  Mostly because I was inexperienced, and didn't have what Jackson needed (breastmilk).  Instead, it seemed most of my time was spent changing diapers, and taking him back to Leah for feeding.

But, in the last couple of weeks, I've been able to give him more bottles.  I've also gotten to keep him more myself, and spend more time with him in general.  At first, Jackson was for lack of a better phrase..."a blob."  But recently, he's starting to give feedback and show a little bit of personality....which has really started to be a lot of fun.

As I see him continue to grow and develop, I can honestly say that I'm getting more and more excited about all the small milestones along the way.

Now for the food...

Tonight I decided to try something a little different - grilled oysters.  I got a great deal on a couple dozen at Whole Foods, and used this recipe from Emeril Lagasse. 

Since I didn't have a shucking knife, I quickly threw them on the grill to open them up.  Then, I used a small knife/screwdriver (yes, I know...slightly ghetto) to shuck the oysters.  Next, I spooned on the spiced garlic butter/herb/Parmesan cheese  mixture, and put them back on the grill for 3 minutes.

They turned out to be pretty delicious, a nice change of pace from the BBQ and chicken that we've had lately.  Here's a picture of the finished product:

Pretty solid!

Time to go, Amazon just delivered enough diapers for a small army of babies, 516 to be exact!

No comments:

Post a Comment