Friday, August 26, 2011

Stuffed Pablano Peppers

Leah and I had company over for dinner Sunday night. So naturally, I wanted to make something on my Big Green Egg.  We've made stuffed Jalepenos before, but they're usually too spicy and tear up my stomach after 1-2 poppers.  Not an enjoyable dining experience...hello Pepto Bismol.


My mom gave me the idea of using Pablano peppers instead.  They're bigger than Jalepenos, and not as hot, so they're ideal for stuffing and eating as a meal.  I made these two ways - stuffed with chicken and wrapped with bacon, and filled with whipped cream cheese, olives, and green onions for Leah.

First, marinate the chicken in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom Rub.


Next, remove the caps from the Pablanos, and slice lengthwise.  Fill with the cream cheese mixture, or the chicken.  I'm not a fan of cream cheese, but Leah suggested using both the cream cheese and chicken would have been good also  Wrap with bacon, and use some toothpicks to keep everything together.

I set up the BGE for direct grilling, at 400 degrees.  I cooked these for around 10 minutes (enough time to drink a Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company).  At the end I opened the vents up to raise the temp and get a nice char on the pablanos.


Here's a picture of the final product, with one of our summer favorites, grilled Okra.


Next time I'll cut the pablanos in half, so they'll be easier to eat.  Otherwise, these turned out to be pretty tasty - anything wrapped in bacon and cooked on the Egg can't be bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment